Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend 2/14-2/15

I am choosing to update instead of catching up on my reading for classes. Again, the senioritis is striking!

Saturday:

This weekend was filled with a lot of food and excitement. Especially sweets! Saturday we got up and decided to make the standard oatmeal from KathEats (minus the flax).

It was sooooo good. I want to eat oatmeal 24/7 now. Especially because it keeps you full so long! We were trying to keep our appetites at bay for our 10:30 dinner reservations. However, I did buy Gustl some French Truffles from TJ's for V-Day and I had a couple of those.

These are the best truffles. So addictive.

Lunch was a veggie sandwich with lettuce, avocado, sprouts, and hummus, with an apple and a 100-calorie pack of pretzel goldfish (my mom sent me a bunch of Pepperidge Farm stuff for V-Day-- she has a connection).

We were pretty much the laziest people in the world, since we wanted to leave a lot of wiggle room for getting ready for dinner. We went to downtown Silver Spring to walk around for a while, and went to Whole Foods (yes, again). I picked up some dried figs and had one on the ride back.

Finally! Melting Pot! We got their on time (yay!) and got seated pretty quickly. Our meal consisted of the Garlic and Herb cheese fondue; California salads; shrimp, center cut filet, teriyaki sirloin, chicken breast, and spinach gorgonzola ravioli in a coq au vin style cooking broth; and white chocolate chambord dessert fondue. Here are the only photos that I could remember to take (I was a little overwhelmed).

So... Basically we came down to the consensus that it was good, but not great. We felt rushed and were disappointed in the atmosphere. The food was good, but we could make it at home. Also, this was the first time that I have ever (yes EVER) had steak, so I was not the best judge of the entree. Bottom line was that we would maybe go again for dessert or drinks, but probably just try to replicate at home. Oh well, it was still really fun :)

Sunday:

Yup, more oatmeal. I bought coconut flakes, so I thought I would try to make a Samoa type oatmeal. I was pretty darn happy with the results.

Banana, brown sugar, a little cinnamon, toasted coconut flakes, a few chocolate chips, and almond butter spoon. I want it again!

We went out to a mall to walk around. We also wanted to go to a Wegman's (I'd never been). We got Five Guys and I got a Little Cheeseburger.

OK. I did not eat beef for 10 years, up until about 2 months ago. Beef still doesn't sit well with me. It's too heavy. Basically, I felt full/disgusting until about 11:00 tonight. No more burgers for a while.

Like I said, not too hungry for dinner. The only other thing I ate today was a BlueBran Vitamuffin and a Pomegranate Berry Stonyfield Farm yogurt. I bet I'll be ravenous in the morning.

I am pooped! I need to sort through my life for the upcoming week! Anyone have any good V-Day stories? I'm sure there was some good eating going on :) Bye bye, weekend!

2 comments: