Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fun new dinners!

Last night I made a dinner that had really stuck out to me in one of my new Ina Garten cook books; her parmesan chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy.  I was a little bit worried becauseI'm never that good at cooking chicken for some reason.  Let's just say that this was a major confidence boost.  Me and G both really liked it a lot.


Plus, I made homemade gravy for the first time!  It wasn't as good as my mom's, but still good.  I also made some black eyed peas and spinach from my Moosewood book, which G ate so that was also a triumph.
 
I've been topping my nights off with hot cocoa.  Probably a good dessert choice for my new year's resolutions.



This morning I had apple cinnamon oatmeal.



After working out, I finished off the rest of the veggies from last night (maybe I could get him to eat them once, but there was no way that G was going near them again).



A little later I had a banana muffin.



Then, for some reason, we had the idea that the weather would be okay for a walk to Fell's Point.  This was probably a bad idea.  It was so cold out.  But I guess worth it for the food.  We went to BOP Pizzeria for lunch and I got a Greek salad.




They have really, really great pizza, but I just wasn't in the mood.  I had a bite of G's pepperoni-pepperoncini pizza and it was good as always.

Then what I was really waiting for!  Mr. Yogato!  It's probably a good thing that we aren't closer to it, because I would be trying to get all of the topping combos that I could possibly think of.  Today I got what I've been getting, though: tangy with kiwi, coconut, and chocolate jimmies.




Did I mention that I got a slow cooker for Christmakkuh from my momma?  And that we watched Julie and Julia?  And that after watching it, G decided that he wanted to try beef bourguignon?  Yes.  And lucky enough, there was a recipe in the little book that came with my slow cooker.  So all day, we had a nice smell in the apartment as it cooked.  The final result, with buttered noodles and bread:



This was good, but really, really rich.  I guess a lot of French food is like that.  Plus, I'm not a huge beef eater to begin with.  Maybe this is more appropriate for a bigger crowd and smaller portions.  But still, really flavorful and tasty!

Now I'm having my cocoa again.  I keep saying that I need to get around to the huge pile of clean laundry that needs to be folded.  Maybe tomorrow...


How do you get the motivation for chores that you hate doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment