Monday, January 11, 2010

Hunger 101

Wow, I didn't realize that I hadn't posted in so long!  I've been keeping busy with a class this weekend and not eating very well.  I'm going to the grocery store today, so hopefully I can turn that around a little.  My big food highlight is that I roasted a chicken for the first time last night!  It turned out pretty well, but I think I cooked it upside down.  I served it with mashed rutabaga (yay new veggies!) and carrots.




And there is a ton of leftover chicken, so you'll definitely be seeing some chicken salad!

Breakfast this morning was a mini whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon and a banana yogurt with pecans.




I've decided that I need to start counting calories again to get myself back in check.  Hopefully it won't be a long-term or consuming thing, but it needs to be done.  I went to the gym this morning, which felt really good, and followed it with some Carnation Instant Breakfast.


My lunch (which is probably going to be a series of snacks) has started off with some pita chips and hummus.

As I mentioned, I took a really great class this weekend called Urban Nutrition: Considering the Challenges.  I am specializing my master's in child and maternal health, so it was really helpful and eye-opening to hear about some of the struggles that families face.  We saw a lot of maps of grocery store locations in relation to poverty and learned that most people in the bad areas of town do most of their shopping at corner stores or behind-glass stores.  One activity that we did was this Hunger 101 module and it really helps you to get into other people's shoes.  But with all of the struggles, there are also tons of great community initiatives and help for these families.  Who knew how many community gardens there are in Baltimore??  And that some of the public schools actually use that produce for their school lunches?  It's great!  It really made me want to shop local more often and to shop the farmer's markets when they come back around.  We also learned about shopping organic and I've decided that I want to try to purchase more organic produce (if I can afford it!).


Alrighty, I need to get a move on my day!  I hope that everyone has a great week (and try to stay warm!  Brrr!!)!