Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hanukkah and Eat Healthy All Week

Crazy how I can just completely disappear for days, huh?  Aside from being super busy with school, I've also been trying to shop for the holidays and I had a nice first night of Hanukkah!  Happy Hannukah, by the way :)  I'm definitely not religious, but my family has some traditions that I like to uphold and incorporate into my new home.


Friday night was the first night and I decided to make matzo ball soup and latkes.





Definitely not the healthiest meal, but it's only once a year, right?  Last night I made a turkey and broccoli couscous skillet with raisins and almonds from RR magazine.


I really liked this, but G definitely didn't.  That's the thing that's hard about cooking for another person; you have to figure out the balance.

I have also decided to try the Self magazine Eat Healthy All Week plan, again.  I've done it twice before, but never all the way through and never while living with G.  He's doing it with me, but he's going to have to make some modifications.  It's only about 1800 calories a day, and that is no where near enough for him.  Hopefully he likes the food and we get a nice week-long healthy eating thing going on that will stick with us.

Day 1
Breakfast was a zucchini spice bran muffin and grapes.


I love these muffins and they're really good for you.  G ate his last night and had cereal for breakfast (see, he's totally going to deviate from my plan!).  Shopping for the week was a little more expensive, even with all of the ingredients we already have.  I guess because I had to double everything.  I still need to go pick up the steak.  I've never cooked steak, so I hope I don't suck at it.  All the other times I used Morningstar meat substitute and I know that G won't go for that.  So I hope this goes well!

What are some of your family traditions?  Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Ack- I haven't been able to comment in days! And I didn't know how to tell you either- so glad it is all fixed :)

    Hope you are enjoying the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete