Thursday, December 31, 2009

Baltimore 100

When I was at the grocery store the other day, I saw some pretty interesting things in the produce aisle.  First of all, I saw that Wegmans was selling a rare truffle for $700 in a locked box (okay, $699.99 to be honest).  I also saw kumato tomatoes, which are sort of brown tomatoes.  These were much more in my price range and I thought that I could make fried green brown tomatoes with them.


Look how pretty they are!



So fried tomatoes it was.  I made some cheddar grits with them, but I didn't really like them too much.  I think I'll leave grits to the professionals and the deep southerners (Maryland is in the south, though, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise).


Dinner last night was homemade chicken noodle soup and french bread. 


Dinner this morning was some cinnamon raisin oatmeal with a little bit of coconut.  I've also been drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast after my workouts for a protein boost.




A couple of weeks ago I read the list of 100 things that Baltimore foodies must do in the Baltimore Sun.  To my surprise, I've already done a good amount of them (and I would like to mention, that not all of these things are "Baltimore".  Give the Eastern Shore some credit!).  Here are the things that I have already done:

1) Have a jumbo lump crab cake from Faidley’s on a Saltine.
5) Snack on a Berger’s cookie.
6) Put marshmallow on your snowball. (ALWAYS!)
12) Breakfast at Blue Moon Cafe down in Fells Point.
17) Thrasher’s french fries from the boardwalk in Ocean City. (See, that's not Baltimore.  That's Ocean City tourist from Baltimore).
19) Chow down on a pit beef sandwich at Boog’s during an O’s game.
21) Have a soft crab sandwich on white bread. (Love soft crabs!)
26) Fisher’s popcorn downy ocean, hon!
30) Eat a Wockenfuss caramel apple! Mmmmm.
47) Order any sandwich at Trinacria. (Yup!)
78) WOCKENFUSS CANDIES!!!!!!!!!!
89) Have Old Bay on things other than seafood. For instance, corn on the cob, potato salad, coleslaw. (I'll eat Old Bay on anything).
97) Eat the Berger cookie pie at Dangerously Delicious Pies in Federal Hill. A new tradition built on the old.
98) Mary Sue Easter Eggs.
So that's 14/100.  I have a lot ahead of me in the new year.  Make that a resolution :)

Speaking of resolutions, I want to do a post later on of the year in review and my resolutions for 2010.  We're having a yummy dinner tonight, but it's going to be pretty low-key since I'm still on-call.  What are your plans for ringing in the new year?

1 comment:

  1. You mean, you didn't buy the truffle???!!!

    ReplyDelete